Friday, September 28, 2012

For Kari: Delta Junction

My freshman year of college I was blessed with the world's greatest roommate! Her name, Kari. Kari is from Delta Junction, Alaska, which a small town in the middle of the state. 

Freshman year I lived with four girls. Our dorm was a suite, which meant, four girls, shared two rooms, and one bathroom. When you are assigned roommates you are given their email addresses. The first e-mail I received from a roommate was from Kari. She told me she was from Alaska and that she liked Metallica. So naturally, I thought she was going to be a Gothic Eskimo. As it turns out she was the exact opposite! She was tall, funny and gorgeous! 

Over the last five years Kari has become one of my best friends. I have been telling her for years that I would visit her home in Delta Junction. Finally, three weeks ago, I was able to make this happen! 

It was the perfect time of year. The tundra of the interior started to turn red and the mountains had been dusted delicately with snow. I was lucky enough to make the trip with a couple of great gals. Kayla, one of Kari's childhood friend's from Delta, (that I have gotten to know over the years) and Katie, one of Kayla's friends from college. The only thing missing from this Rockin' Road Trip was Kari. Since Colorado and Alaska aren't exactly the close to each other, she wasn't able to make the trip! 

While in Delta we did the typical sightseeing. We visited Kayla's old house. A beautiful log cabin that her parents built when they first moved to Alaska. We also visited Kari's family at Misty Mountain Farms. She has spent so much time over these last five years with my family at my parents house that it was great to finally visit Kari's house and see where she grew up! We ate at the Drive In where Kari and all of her friends used to work. If you ever visit Delta Junction, YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE DRIVE IN! It has great food and even better shakes! We stopped at the visitors center, the Saturday farmers market, the grocery store (to get Munchers... Amazing little pieces of fried food heaven) and we even took the time to visit the local saloon, The Clearwater! 

The trip to Delta was a short one. We left midday on Friday and headed back early Sunday morning. It didn't take long to see the town but it was a blast visit all of the places that I had heard Kari talk about over the years. 

Love you Kari, No Homo! 









The Drive In - Best Food in Delta!

Official End of the Alaska Highway

Record Lows in Delta Junction

Kitchen in an old homesteader's cabin

CHEERS TO KARI!!!!

Kayla, Katie and I.

All of Kari's friends from back home!

Mount Hayes in the Alaska Mountain Range








No comments:

Post a Comment